Sunday, June 1, 2008

Accident.

There are some people in your life you'll never forget. It doesn't matter if you meet them in a store or at a party, in passing or through a friend, or even in a dream. The people you meet in dreams actually have a stronger impact for me than real people do. By impact, I mean they make me realize things people in my "real" life wouldn't. Probably because it has to do with the fact dreams come from subconsious emotions and thoughts and shit like that.

I woke up drenched in cold sweat shaking uncontrolably. I threw off my sweatshirt and peeled off my socks. I collected my sheets and looked at the clock. 2:46 am. Fuck. Why the hell did I wake up this early? Wait, even better question, what woke me?

I walked downstairs and put a kettle of water on. I found a dry shirt and pair of shorts to change into and walked into the bathroom. My reflection shocked me for a minute. My hair was slightly frizzy, there were dark circles under my eyes, and my skin was milk white.

Walking back into the kitchen I grabbed a bag of tea and put it in a cup. The kettle let out a loud siren and a vision of ambulances and firetrucks came to mind. Shaking it off, I pulled down the sugar and put two heaping spoonfuls into my cup. I poured the hot water, slowly stirring watching the steam rise off of the cup. In the steam I saw a hood of a car, smashed into itself with glass everywhere. I shuffled over to a barstool and sat down.

I slowly inhaled the aroma of the tea and relaxed. My muscles were killing me for some odd reason. Realizing I couldn't get comfortable sitting on a wooden stool, I walked into the living room and sat on the couch. As soon as I sat down, another flash of red, blue, and white lights flew across my mind. The more I got these visions more more frighten I became that I missed something important.

I closed me eyes and tried to bring back whatever my dream was before I woke up. After about 10 minutes of struggling to bring back the dream, I gave up. It was hard, apparently my mind didn't want me to bring it back.

Almost immediately after giving up, it came to me.

I was sitting in the car with what must have been a boyfriend, because I was holding his hand. He must have said something funny, because I laughed and said, "I love you Mike" and squeezed his hand. He turned an smiled at me and as the words "I love you too" came out of his mouth, a car slammed into the driver side door. I could see the trees and the road and the shattered glass all mold into one green/grey blob floating around. Red goo splattered my face as I tried reaching for Mike while screaming his name.

When I was actually aware of my surroundings, I could hear sirens. Lights were all over the place, and I could feel vibrations from the car. I saw legs of at least 6 people running around as I started to panic.

"Help.....me. Help..."

I began crying and reaching for Mike. The car was upside down. I couldn't move, and there was a searing pain in my left leg. Not wanting to be alone, I began to fiddle with everything. The buckles, door handles, anything that could be my way out.

"Someone grab a backboard, trama shears, and spider straps now!"

What sounded like a saw was in my right ear. A few sparks flew and I passed out.

When I woke up, a woman was standing over me in the back of an ambulance. She was pushing the hair off my neck and feeling for a pulse. Her hands were cold, but I was just happy that I could feel the temperature difference. She must have seen my eyes darting around because she grabbed my hand.

"Listen, it's okay. I'm Sam. I'm going to take care of you. You're in an ambulance, we're on the way to the hospital. You're doing fine, but I'm going to have to ask you to keep looking at me. Stay awake, stay with me."

I did what I thought was a nod, and stared at her. Two other people were near my legs looking very stressed and very scared.

We got the hospital and I tried to ask about Mike. I wasn't being too clear and Sam looked at me with a confused face.

"Don't worry about it. Everything that happened will be explained in time. You just need to worry about you. You need to get better. You're a good person, this wasn't supposed to happen now. This is a strengthening experience. I'm here for you."

This is the point where I woke up.

I know exactly what it meant.

Fuck. I love you too.

3 comments:

a day in the life said...

Mike is based off a real person.
These are just stories, not real experiences.
=]

.. said...

Great writing! Thanks to Sam for sending me over. I may have to visit more often.

Medic61 said...

Um hi, am I the best or am I the best!? Seriously.
Also, your hit counter isn't like mine, it goes based off of individual visits. So like...refreshing the page doesn't count as a visit, but actually leaving your site and coming back to it does. So you've probably had more pageviews than it's letting on.
Love youuu :D