Monday, June 2, 2008

Lightening.

Small, cool, gentle blobs of water land sporadically on my dress as I fly through the air. The delicate breeze was slowly cooling and turning into stronger gusts as the sun disappeared behind swirling menacing clouds. Something about the rather large tree I was sitting under made me feel safe enough to stay rooted on my swing, so I continued kicking my higher and higer then falling backwards.

It started pouring harder and harder, but I stayed put. I've always been a fan of rain so swaying on the swing listening to the steady crescendo of the rainsplatter was more calming than irritating.

Looking out over the wide field in front of me, I saw the rain and wind bend the tall grass and create a ripple affect throughout it. The bushes and smaller trees were getting their fair share of abuse from the weather, but there was nothing that could be done for them. There was one tree that stood out from the rest in the upper left corner. It was easily the runt of the trees and it had branches that grew upwards, almost as if reaching for heaven. Even bark was slightly paler and more splotchy than the ones surrounding it.

The thunder started to roll louder and more frequent as the now-obvious storm approached. I stood up from the wood swing and cautiously made my way to the edge of my safety zone. The lightening was striking in bright lines all around the tops of the mountains and high points on the surrounding farms. As I turned my back, the bright light I had seen moments before landed within earshot with a stiff snap. I turned in time to see the top half of the little tree fall helplessly to the ground. The cracks and pops of all the branches coming off resonated in my ears. My heart broke slightly because of the misfourtune that fell upon the tree, but what was there to do?

The rain started to lighten up, so I stepped gingerly through the field hopping around rocks and holes that lined my way. After cutting my legs several times on briars and slipping once or twice, I arrived at the poor little tree. Knowing that lightening never strikes the same place twice made me certain that the safest place for me to be was right there. I crawled between the branches of the newly fallen half and climbed up the half that was still standing. As soon as I reached the top of the tree all went silent. It was as if I was the only person --only thing-- in the world. It was a peace that I had never felt before.

With no warning and no mercy, the most brilliant and blazing light shot down from the sky. What I felt was a pain no other human could understand. I felt the electric pulses shoot through my veins touching every tip of my body searching for a way out. I couldn't breathe, my chest tightened up as if it were trying to restrain my palpitant heart.

I fell from the tree. It was the longest descent I'd ever recalled. I fell and fell and fell. There was no bottom to catch me. I was alone, hurt, and scared. Why I had left the safety of my tree swing seared my brain as I awaited the impact.

The impact was hard. It felt as if I was thrown against a concrete wall. The breath was completely knocked out of me and I lay gasping for breath. I clenched my fist to my chest and closed my eyes. My mind racing, I realized something that would forever be instilled in my mind and heart.

You lied.

No comments: